Britney Spears The Focus On ‘The Factor’

The O’Reilly Factor had a segment on earlier tonight, where host Bill O’Reilly spoke with journalism student Rachel Smith and Andrea Lafferty, both of whom are not fans of and her negative influence on young girls. Bill actually stood up for Britney in this case. Read on for a transcript.

Bill: Thanks for staying with us. I’m bill o’reilly. In the second
in the “personal story” segment tonight, the pop star Britney Spears. While
it is possible that her pop lairty and influence has peaked among young
american girls, she is still a visible presence. Ms. Spears is 21 years
old, has sold 52 million records in the last four yearsful but it is her
videos that have drawn the most negative attention as she rives around
in tight clothing. The question is, is she a danger to little girls? Joining
us now from atlanta is rachel smith a senior journalism student at the
university of georgia, who has a problem with ms. Spears and from washington,
andrea lafferty who also does not admire Britney. You’re gadging up on
me perform I’ll stick up for ms. Spears here. I understand you and your
class were discussing my point of view on ludacris, the rapper who we think
is a vile guy, and britmy Spears got into it. Tell us about that.

>> We were discussing it in my editorial writing class and I agree with
your column that ludacris is a negative influence on kid. His music is
just full of profanity and all that mess. But then in your column, you
said that Britney’s influence was not as serious.

Bill: That’s right. Don’t worry about that. Just plug it in there. Don’t
worry about it. Hold it up there if you’d like. Britney Spears basically
sings little love songs and rives around. That is dangerous why?

>> Could you repeat that?

Bill: Britney Spears since little love songs and writhes around, semi
undressed. What’s the problem?

>> Well, I mean, I think a lot of little girls look up to Britney Spears.
She won two teen choice awards, one for choice female hottie this summer
in august. And little girls look up to her and then they want to dress
like her and inappropriately for their age. And parents, you know, she’s
shown as a role model on this because she talks about being a virgin and
all this and parents can’t see t that she is having a really negative influence
on their children.

Bill: Parents can’t see it? If any parent lets their little girl dress
like Britney Spears, their parent is a moron. The same argument is that
some little girls don’t have good parents. Ms. Lafferty, what do you say?

>> Well, bill, I guess — first I want to say is that i’m not a feminist
or man hater. But you are totally wrong and you don’t get it and you don’t
get it because you are a man.

Bill: Uh-oh.

>> The thing is, you didn’t grow up — you went through adolescence
as a male not as a female. So, you don’t understand and you couldn’t possibly
understand what young girls go through. We’re comparing two completely
different things and you’re talking about ludacris verses Britney Spears.
And to sort of say that a heart attack is worse than cancer is what you’ve
done. They’re both dangerous.

Bill: I don’t see the danger in Britney Spears, only I see it in that
she dresses like permissively. But you see that at the beach.

>> That is the image.

Bill: Let me give you a chance, ms. Lafferty and i’m sure you’re going
to remember this. Anne margaret. Remember anne margaret? She was in a movie
called “viva las vegas” and that was when I knew I was heterosexual and
I popped up seeing anne margaret. Whoa, there was something going on. Buzz
she a pernicious influence as well?

>> We’re talking about someone who started out, she has been — her
target audience has been young girls.

Bill: “Bye-bye birdie” was young kids.

>> She wasn’t a mouseketeer. They’re different. Women that watch your
show, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, single women, they understand. They
know what it’s like to look in the mir ron and to have this put out there

Bill: I understand that. But, you know, she is a performer. She’s got
a good body. She’s in the gym 18 hours a day or whatever she is doing.

>> That’s a good point that young girls don’t understand. That this
girl has been created, her body is not completely natural.

Bill: That’s right.

>> She works out. She is not a normal —

Bill: But this is what performances are these days. Are you going to
ban performances?

>> I’m not talking about banning. But, you know, we come back to the
struggles that even mothers and daughters have. We saw this during back-to-school
shopping. Moms didn’t want their daughters dressing in —

Bill: Oh, look. I’m with you on that, ms. Lafferty. Ridiculous if a
little girl goes out in a halter top and all of this. It’s jonbenet ramsey

>> Little girls want to buy thong underwear.

Bill: I know they want to buy. But they’re told no.

>> Well, yeah. But this is a tough time to be a parent.

Bill: Oh, bologna. If I’m the father and that — and my little girl
wants to do it, say no. Am I wrong here, ms. Smith?

>> Are you taking your daughter back-to-school shopping? Are you taking
your daughter to buy bras? I don’t think so.

Bill: Trust me on this, no daughter of mine leaves the house when she
is a little girl dressing like Britney Spears. I would know about it. I
want to go to you, ms. Smith. You’re at the university. You’re supposed
to be hip and with it like me. And are most people thinking Britney Spears
is a do you think the republic at the university level?

>> I don’t know about that. I don’t know if most people have thought
about it. I think ludacris is obviously a mortisable danger because, you
know, it’s just very obvious how dangerous he is. But for Britney, I think
she just packages it in a nicer package —

Bill: But you go on spring break and any beach in georgia and florida,
you’people walking around in a beach —

>> That is not a pop star.

Bill: What difference does it make? If you see somebody on the beach.

>> She’s being lifted up. This is something a 13-year-old or 14-year-old
girl is looking at herself —

Bill: I made the same argument about elvis presley, swiveling his hips,
had the greasy hair.

>> It is not the same thing.

Bill: It is the same argument because the performer rives around —

>> We’re seeing numbers of young anorexic women increase. Seeing numbers
of young girls saying I want breast implants. Teen girls.

Bill: Look. That’s not Britney Spears, that’s the whole industry.

>> Britney Spears does add it to. Now she’s gone from being a mouseketeer
to being a pop star to being — there are a lot of words used to describe
how she looks now. Vamp may be a nires one.

Bill: Would you ban her? Is that what you want to do? Do you want to
put her in jail? What do you want to do?

>> Of course not, bill. Of course not.

Bill: What do you want to do?

>> I think we need to help parents and we need to be realistic and use
this as an opportunity to acknowledge that we have — there are issues
that is are rising and girls are struggling from some serious self-image
problems, anorexia, bulimia, a lot of things based on the images put out
in the media. Corporate america says I want to put Britney Spears out there
and they’re lifting her up and it is making life more difficult and this
is what girls are striving to look like. Britney Spears.

Bill: Listen. I got it. But that’s the way it’s always been in the merchandising
and packaging of hollywood and madison avenue. However, I do agree with
you, ladies, that parents cannot, cannot, allow their little girls to go
out looking like Britney Spears or behave like her. They have to, you know,
put it into perspective. This is a show, it’s a game, and this is what
they do. Thank you very much we appreciate your point of view. I know I’m
going to get mail on this. Oh, god, am I going to get maiL

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *