Every now again in this modern pop music era an album or artist comes along that defines a generation. Here are some of what I think are the most definitive pop albums of our time.
1. Michael Jackson- Thriller. Not only is this the biggest selling album of all time, it is the best album from one of pop’s music royalty. Spawning a record breaking amount of hit singles and winning 8 Grammys, this was the main reason for Michael Jackson being regarded as the King of Pop. Remember him this way folks..
Key Tracks: Billie Jean, Thriller, Human Nature
2. Madonna – Ray of Light. One of the most critically acclaimed female albums of all time. Madonna cleverly made a comeback not by going back to her older musical roots but completely re-inventing herself. Ray of Light’s spiritual, electronica-pop had not been heard in the mainstream, yet it went on to become one of Madonna’s biggest sellers.
Key Tracks: Frozen, Candy Perfume Girl, Ray of Light, Sky Fits Heaven
3. Prince – Purple Rain. Prince showed his true music genius by perfectly performing many musical styles, from r’n’b/soul to rock/pop. Purple Rain was another best seller and gave Prince true pop icon status.
Key Tracks: When Doves Cry, Darling Nikki, Purple Rain, I Would Die 4 U
4. Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill. Alanis was one of the most surprising breakthrough talents of the 90’s. Her mix of angst-driven pop/rock was a huge success and she paved the way for other female singer/songwriters and popstars including Avril Lavigne.
Key Tracks: Ironic, You Learn, You Oughta Know
5. Britney Spears – Greatest Hits: My Prerogative. Even though Britney seems a little out of place with these other artists there is no denying the affect she has had on modern pop. In a little over 5 years she has sold millions of records worldwide and re-invented teen pop.
Key Tracks: Baby One More Time, Toxic, Everytime, Oops I Did It Again
If you agree/disagree with my choices or have anything to add let me know! Thanks!
January 28, 2006 – Conan O’Brien joked during his Late Night monologue on Thursday night, “This week in Bahrain, Michael Jackson was spotted at a mall in disguise. Yeah. The disguise consisted of Michael walking with a boy over 18.”
Jacko’s Neverland Employees Go Five Weeks Without Pay
January 28, 2006 – Roger Friedman of FoxNews.com has been told that not one of the 60 or so remaining employees at Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch have been paid for their work since December 23, 2005. “Every employee of Michael Jackson in California is in trouble,” one of the staffers complained. Read more.