All in all, Madonna has appeared in 17 films (18 if that embarrassing pre-celebrity status soft-porn flick “A Certain Sacrifice” [which WAS a hit on video] is included, 19 if you include that cameo in the documentary “Torrence Rises” , and 20 if you count that short film called “Star” for a car commercial). Though noted for her success in music, Madonna is also celebrated for her many film flops — an accomplishment that earned her the reputation of being the worst actress ever and instant box-office poison. Of the 19 films she appeared in, only one was a certified hit (“Desperately Seeking Susan”  — her very first mainstream lead [or second lead] role), two enjoyed moderate success (“Truth Or Dare”  and “Evita” ), and three enjoyed mainstream success — because she was only a supporting cast member or she just had a cameo (“Dick Tracy , “A League Of Their Own”  and “Die Another Day” ).
So let’s go back in time and celebrate her numerous movie failures:
1. Vision Quest  – A young Madonna makes a cameo as a singer for a local rock band and her #1 hit “Crazy For You” is the main theme. Not a bad film, but unfortunately forgotten. Oh, by the way…did I mention it tanked?
2. Shanghai Surprise  – Madonna plays against type by portraying a prim and proper 1930s missionary for bad boy then-real life hubby Sean Penn. Bad publicity. Bad story. Bad acting. Bad box-office results.
3. Who’s That Girl  – Madonna attempts comedy and failed to make people laugh. The title song went to #1 at the Billboard charts for the time she’s most capable of staying at #1: 1 pathetic week.
4. Bloodhounds Of Broadway  – Madonna gives justice to the role and look of a 1920s flapper girl. Good film, good story by the great Damon Runyon. Unfortunately it wasn’t given a chance — it went straight to video.
5. Shadows And Fog  – Artsy Woody Allen film with a big-name ensemble cast. Set in a circus in the 30s. Great. But like most arthouse films, it flopped.
6. Body Of Evidence  – Laughable parody of “Basic Instinct” where Madonna desperately does a laughable Sharon Stone. Got what it deserves: it flopped.
7. Dangerous Game  – Another straight-to-video affair. LOL.
8. Blue In The Face  – Madonna makes a cameo as a singing telegram. Does anyone know this flop even exist?
9. Four Rooms  – Madonna portrays a true-to-life role: a witch. Everybody got scared, so no one watched it.
10. Girl 6  – Another true-to-life cameo role for the hag: an aging prostitute. Everyone stayed away as usual.
11. The Next Best Thing  – Good film generally. Good music. Not given a chance, so it tanked.
12. Swept Away  – To each her own: Mariah has her “Glitter” and J.Lo has her “Gigli.” “Swept Away” is definitely one of the greatest flops in the history of cinema, to say the least.