Contributed by Brinn:
WARNING: Yes, this is an opinion article. No, I’m not forcing you to read it. I suggest that if you don’t want to hear my opinion, you read no further.
I am a Christina Aguilera fan, call me biased, but read on for my opinion on what sets Christina Aguilera apart from the rest.
1. Whether you like it or not, Christina has a voice that blows the other female singers out of the water. She has a voice that rivals Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey. Christina has the kind of voice that can sing a bad song and still make you enjoy listening to it. She has a voice that doesn’t even need music.
2. Christina’s latest album has more than 75%songs that are far more mature, with far more substance, than other Top 40 singers. Not only are her songs well-written and full of messages and meanings, Christina conveys so much emotion in her voice. She sings about her real feelings, in an attempt for healing for herself, and for advice for others.
3. Christina has a very diverse style of music. As displayed with her five singles and jam packed album, Christina is willing to experiment with many different types of music and succeed. Although she is seen as a ‘pop’ artist, I would say only 50% of Stripped in pop music, IF that.
4. Christina’s video clips could rival Madonna’s versatility. Of the 5 videos released from Stripped, every one touches a different issue or moves in a completely different direction. We’ve all seen the controversial film clip, Dirrty which was, well, dirty. Then with a 180 degree turn, Christina covered herself up and stripped away the dirty dancing for the Beautiful video which contained controversial issues itself. Fighter was unlike any other video of it’s time, with a dark theme and message, while Can’t Hold Us Down was a throw back to the colorful hip hop videos of our time. And then to my favorite yet, The Voice Within. I can’t think of a more appropriate song for Christina to strip back to the bare necessities – Christina and her voice, one take. Daring in itself to release such a video that could, well, be seen as boring. Only a voice as amazing as Christina’s could carry such a film clip.
5. Christina has the ability to genuinely evolve, and to therefore, gain new audiences. I, myself, was not a fan of her first album. I wasn’t even a fan of pop music when Stripped was released. But now, I am a truly dedicated Christina fan. I think Christina Aguilera will be around for many years to come, and I expect we will see even greater things from her.