Madonna’s latest “Confessions on a Dance Floor” hit #1 in the US for only short week. It’s lead-off single “Hung Up” peaked at #7. Both have already fizzled out in the charts. Compared to Madonna’s previous and earlier efforts, and with the likes of Mariah Carey, Kanye West, Gwen Stefani and even Kelly Clarkson spending millions of weeks in and at the top of the charts, “COADF” — to put it bluntly — is a certified flop by today’s standards. Why did it flop? Several factors can be cited:
1. Timing. 2005 IS definitely the year of “The Emancipation of Mimi.” Any attempt to top, copy or even just go along with the “comeback” craze is futile. This pop juggernaut is relentless, destroying everything in its path. Too bad, COADF was one of its casualties and up till now Madonna hasn’t recovered from the tragedy that was “American Life,” an accident that hurt more than her recent horse fall.
2. Content. Need we say more? The songs in it are NOT all-dance as advertised. Half of the CD is composed of dull, slow-moving and bland Euro trash. Its contents have NO place in the hip-hop/r&b-dominated radio. Hence it practically received no airplay whatsoever.
3. Producers. Madonna never learned from the “American Life” fiasco. She still got that horrible Mirwais, the guy who practically ended her career, as producer. Not only that — she paired with dull Stuart Price (whoever that is). Hence a dull CD.
4. Kabbalah and Politics. Contrary to the publicity that the CD will contain only fun and NO messages, be it religious or political, it is laden with words from the Zohar (in “Isaac) “and a tirade against Bush (in “I Love New York,” a song which blatantly says the opposite). Madonna’s religious inclinations and anti-American attitude have turned off and alienated a lot of people, like it or not.
5. Madonna’s Looks and Attitude. Aside from being anti-American and holier-than-thou, Madonna has never been known to be kind to her fans, the people who supported and stayed with her through the years. Also, she is aging very badly. This day and age, image counts a lot. It seems that the once-style icon has lost interest in taking care of herself. Kabbalah teaches that the outside reflects what’s on the inside. If that is true, hell…you don’t wanna see what’s inside Madonna.
6. The fans. Yes, you heard it right, the fans. Had they only bought the CD…