Contributed by XtinaFan:
Half a year after my essay on Christina Aguilera and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, it’s time for another essay on Popdirt that is more original and thought-provoking than the countless, stupid, “Who is better: Britney or Christina?” essays and the likes.
This time, I’m going to write about a disorder I think that Britney Spears has.
Out of everyone that has this disorder, 80 percent of them are young women…around the same age as Britney. What is this disorder I’m talking about? It’s called Borderline Personality Disorder.
People with this disorder are emotionally unstable, and act on many impulsive behaviors (such as getting married on a whim in Vegas). Most of these impulsive behaviors are self-destructive. I’d have to agree that a lot of Britney’s behaviors have been self-destructive, such as excessive spending (Britney goes shopping A LOT), promiscuity (I definitely wouldn’t call her promiscuous, because she definitely isn’t…but years ago she never had sex unless it was with Justin Timberlake, and now she’s participating in many more sexual activities), and alcohol abuse (Britney does drink a lot). I don’t think that any of these behaviors could be self-productive at all.
People with borderline personality disorder have serious problems with boundaries with other people and their relationships with them. They become quickly involved with others. I’d think that getting married to someone that Britney has only been dating for a few months, is quick involvement. But along with quick involvement, there also comes quick disappointment. The emotional life of someone that has BPD is a roller coaster. People with BPD fear abandonment and make desperate attempts to have and maintain relationships. They also feel they “need” somebody else in order to survive. This could be why she is getting married so quickly, again.
Even though BPD can be caused biologically or psychologically, it can also be caused socially, which I think would be Britney’s cause of it. Everyone lives in the problems of modern society, but because Britney is a celebrity, she lives with those problems quadrupled. Nobody that isn’t a celebrity with as much power as Britney can comprehend the problems that she faces daily, and I don’t think we could even imagine it. Whatever the problems are, the cause for her BPD could be caused by not getting the right support and emotional security.
As you all may have noticed, it has only been the past couple of years that Britney has been going downhill. Why is that? A person with BPD can often appear warm, friendly and competent…for years. A stressful situation such as a death of someone close to them, or a break-up of a romantic relationship (such as Justin Timberlake) can cause the person’s defense structure to crumble. I noticed that after the break-up with Justin Timberlake that Britney began drinking and smoking, and later moving on to worse things. This is quite possible.
Another point is, people with BPD are vulnerable, passive when trying to resolve conflicts, and they try to show competence when, internally, things are falling apart for them. Britney shows all of these traits. She seems vulnerable in relationships (Kevin), she is passive when she is confronted with a problem (such as the whole Christina Aguilera’s Blender/letter issue), and she always seems competent when she speaks in interviews or TV (that’s how she wants the world to view her). People with BPD are also always in denial, which would explain Britney “lying” a lot.
Sometimes people with BPD have episodes where they briefly lose contact with reality and have bizarre behavior. Example: Britney proposing to someone she only dated for a few months. People that have BPD usually have unstable relationships with people, alternating from clinging and distancing. Sometimes, if they get too close with someone, they’ll distance themselves quickly.
90 percent of people that have BPD recover, either by seeking therapy or recovering by themselves in their mid 30’s-40’s. What happens with the other 10 percent?
There’s that sad fact: 10 percent of people with BPD commit suicide.