Last year, r’n’b singer Mariah Carey had chart success with her comeback album ‘The Emancipation of Mimi.’ In the same year Madonna also returned with her multi-million selling ‘Confessions on a Dance Floor,’ and needless to say a war of words ensued between fans. These are the reasons I believe Mariah will never take Madonna’s Queen of Pop crown, and I would be interested to hear feedback from Mariah and Madonna fans.
1. Talent – I believe Madonna’s music has much more depth and meaning than Mariah’s constant songs about boys, and love. Madonna has been able to tap into many different themes and topics in her songs including religion, sex and politics-often causing controversy and always keeping her fans interested.
2. Performing Live – Though neither singer is a stranger to miming, Mariah cannot compete with Madonna’s show-stopping performances and world tours. Mariah cannot pull off the same dance routines as Madonna, and has she ever done a world tour??
3. Intelligence – I do not mean this in a mean way, but it is fairly obvious to see that Madonna seems to have a higher IQ. Madonna has always been in complete control of her music and career, being the CEO of her record label Maverick and has always been very strategic, allowing her to survive in the music business for so long.
4. Videos – In this day and age, videos are arguably as important as the songs for making or breaking artist’s careers. Though Mariah’s videos are never terrible, they are definitely forgettable. No one, with perhaps the exception of Michael Jackson, has produced more iconic and memorable pop videos as Madonna e.g. Like a Prayer, Ray of Light and Justify my Love.
5. Music – As mentioned above Madonna has experimented with many musical styles, repeatedly re-invented herself and has influenced many pop princesses of today such as Britney Spears and Gwen Stefani. Mariah seems to have stuck to the same formula and has not ventured from the “r’n’b-pop-rent a rapper” box.
Obviously, this is just my opinion, and if anyone disagrees or has any other points, SPEAK NOW or forever hold your peace!